Technical difficulties?

Started by Private User on Thursday, February 16, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 121-150 of 1546 posts

Victar. Great idea, but the white space would be better utilised by displaying the timeline.

This would bring the logged-in profile display in line with the logged-out display, and would eliminate that infuriating Geni convention of having to list the children in the About section - they are automatically listed in the timeline.

Pam Karp, can you give specific examples of what you are seeing?

Michelle Elena Kempner, here is an example of a profile:

http://www.geni.com/profile/edit_basics/6000000016175686635

You will see that the place of death has been deleted. I have not yet copied the details from About Me. A screen dump has been sent to your Geni address.

Hey Mike and other people from Geni. Here's something i would really like to see on the geni site. I would like to decide whether a profile that I create is mergable or not or create a permissions for it - I've noticed that other people are merging things that I've created without my permission - in some cases the information is just fine, in other cases, its not, currently if they merge it, there is no way to unmerge it, unless you get a curator. Also in some rare cases, the information out there is just nonsensical, for example merging someone who was born in 1700 with someone who was born in 1950, etc.

As it is no longer possible to block a user from editing profiles that you manage, the Geni Help section requires changing.

The removal of this feature was not wise, and is not helping the credibility of the World Tree.

Private User Blocking is for communication only. If the person in question is a collaborator, you can remove the collaboration. It would be helpful if you posted a link to the problem profile or you can message me.

Mike Stangel -- the Home Welcome XXXX activity stream - No longer starts top of page - starts lower after the last right frame (Recently Online)

From the Geni Help screen -

You may to use the Block Users feature. By adding someone to this list:
Any friend, family group, or collaborator relationship is removed
They can't see your email address or the email address on any profile you manage
They can't contact you
They can't edit any profiles you manage

Eldon. It has successfully operated this way until recently. The offending parties have discovered that the restriction no longer applies, and are causing havoc.

Private User If they also manage the profile, they still have edit rights. You are not giving us enough info to work with. Generalities don't do any good

I was the sole manager of the profiles.

Ken I believe you 1) should open a ticket 2) email misconduct@geni.com. This could qualify and I hope you were able to revert.

Hi Ken

We sent you a message please reply with the requested information.

Erica. As access was gained by creating a single profile then merging with an existing profile, the revisions are lost. They are not recoverable. There are hundreds of profiles involved. I haven't mentioned the insane merges.

'Location:' is still not working for Documents, nothing is suggested when I start entering a location, when done and I open the 'Edit Location Details' there is nothing listed in any of the fields, I have to enter the location again in each field.

Carole as my workaround to this bug I save what I have edited and reopen. Then the location auto suggest becomes available. It's an extra couple of clicks but still faster than field by field.

Thanks Erica
I will use this but hopefully sometime the bug will be fixed.

Erica Howton
This did not work for me in the Documents, after entering the location without bring down the 'Edit Location Details' and saving when I returned to edit the document there was nothing in the Location field, so the 'Edit Location Details' needs to be used to save the location information.

re: earlier reports of 'spinning':

In at least one situation recently I had a Chrome Browser window just "spin" ... and I saw it was waiting for connect.facebook.com ... did not return for 10s of seconds. It only quit when I opened another Geni window/tab.

I see. Location works for documents after they have been saved, but not in the upload flow. I have made a ticket for this.

Thank you Michelle.

Is anybody else having problems uploading documents, or is it just me?

Yep, I'm also having problems uploading documents. Thing is, there's no project without the document :-(

Yep, I'm also having problems uploading documents. Thing is, there's no project without the document :-(

And now my posts are duplicating themselves :-)

When adding a document from a Web link, it goes to "processing" and just hangs there, so it is not a problem with the "upload" per se, but seems to be an internal Geni problem in processing the document (e.g.: connecting the profile, saving the document in the database, or some such thing).

Michelle Elena Kempner or Mike Stangel ?

.... hmmm ... I "wrote" too soon ... the web-link document just completed and appears to be fine.

So, either things are now fixed, or it is specific to uploaded vs. weblink docs.

Try again now, folks.

We're aware of the problem and are working on it.

Mike Stangel Okay. Thanks :-)

Thanks

Showing 121-150 of 1546 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion