Historic Buildings of Co. Tipperary C - D
Republic of Ireland
Image right - Cahir Castle
Due to the numerous Historical buildings and castles in of County Tipperary the project has been split into 4 projects. (The arrowed buttons below are linked to the other pages).
If you have information about any of the Buildings mentioned below please share it here. If you have ancestors linked to any of the places please add them to the project.
The object of this project is to provide information about historic buildings in County Tipperary, with links to sub-projects for specific buildings as appropriate. GENi profiles of people associated with those establishments can be linked to this project and/or to individual projects where they have been set up.
Castles, Baronial and Historic houses
... in alphabetical order
Including Castles, Abbeys, Manor Houses, Mansions, Stately Homes, Country houses, Estate houses, Courts, Halls, Parks and other listed buildings of historic interest
Full sizes of the thumbnail images can be seen in the Gallery attached to the project or by clicking the thumbnail image. TIP - Use ctrl+the link to open the image in a separate tab, or use "back" to return to this project page) Sources for the images can be found in the image details as seen in the gallery.
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles or projects. Other links take you to external biographical web pages. Please copy and paste the bullet used - ● - instead of * when adding items to the list.
● Cabragh Castle
● Cahir Castle, Restored Castle, built from 1142 by Conor O'Brien, Prince of Thomond. Once the stronghold of the Butler family. The castle retains its impressive keep, tower and much of its original defensive structure. It is one of Ireland's largest and best preserved castles. It is situated on a rocky island on the River Suir. In 1375 the castle was granted to James Butler, newly created Earl of Ormond, for his loyalty to Edward III. His son James, the second Earl (by his second marriage) passed the lands around the barony of Iffa and Offa West to his children, though they were not themselves noble. This changed by 1542 when Thomas Butler,1st Barons Cahir was created. Unlike their Anglican kinsmen, this branch of the Butler dynasty sided with the Roman Catholic Irish in the Elizabethan wars. In 1599 the castle was captured after a three-day siege by the army of the Earl of Essex and was for a year put under the charge of Sir Charles Blount. Lord Cahir joined with the Earl of Tyrone in 1601 and was attainted for treason, but later obtained a full pardon. In 1627 the castle was where Cahir's son-in-law, Lord Dunboyne, murdered his distant cousin, James Prendergast, in a dispute over an inheritance: he was tried for the killing but acquitted. During the Irish Confederate Wars the castle was besieged twice. In 1647 George Mathew, the guardian of the young Lord Cahir, surrendered to Murrough O'Brien, 6th Baron Inchiquin (later 1st Earl, and a descendant of Cahir's builder) following his victory at the battle of Knocknanauss. In 1650 he surrendered again to Oliver Cromwell, during his conquest of Ireland without a shot even being fired. In 1961 the last Lord Cahir died and the castle reverted to the Irish state. Late in the 20th century the castle was named a National Monument, managed by the Office of Public Works. In 1981 it was used as a location for a battle scene in the film Excalibur. The castle was also used as a location for television series the Tudors.
● Camus Castle
● Cappa Castle (near Cahir)
● Cappa Castle (near Nenagh)
● Carneycastle Castle
● Carrick on Suir Castle (aka Ormonde)
● Carrigeen Castle, Restored Castle
● Cashlaunteigeboght Castle
● Castle Fogarty, Restored Castle
● Castle Grace - Within the grounds of a private house to the north of the Mill River, a late 13th Century de Bermingham castle. During the 1970s the castle featured as a location for Stanley Kubrick's 1975 film "Barry Lyndon" starring Ryan O'Neal.
● Clareburg Castle - four storey strong-house. It stands alongside a two storey west range with fireplaces in the south end wall. The strong-house is probably early 17th century, although a much earlier 14th century building may have been incorporated. The castle was repaired in c1650 and occupied by Captain Matthew Jacob.
● Castle Otway or Cloghonan, - a combination of a tower house of c.1600 and an 18th century house, although the original tower has all but disappeared under 19th century remodelling. The tower, originally called Cloghonan adjoined an 18th century house named Castle Otway, after the Otway family were granted the property in 1665. The combined block was much altered and renovated in the 19th century, and remained occupied until 1906.
● Castleblake Castle
● Castletown Castle
● Castletown Castle
● Coyne, Castle
● Cloghaneena Castle
● Cloghjordan Castle
● Cloghkeating Castle
● Cloghonan Castle (see Castle Otway)
● Clohaskin Castle
● Clonakenny Castle
● Clonamicklon Castle
● Clonbuogh Castle
● Clonmel Castle
● Cloughjordan House
● Coolcroo Castle
● Coolquill Castle
● Cragg Castle
● Cramps Castle
● Cranagh Castle, Intact Castle
● Cullahill Castle
● Curraghcloney Castle
● Damer House associated with Damer sub Portarlington. Early 18th century house built within the walls of the old Butler castle in the town of Roscrea by Joseph Damer (father of Joseph Damer, 1st Earl of Dorchester and maternal grandfather of 1st Earl of Portarlington). He lived there only for a short while. Used as a barracks for most of the 19th century, then as a school, after which it housed the County Library and Engineering Offices. By 1973 it was in poor condition and threatened with demolition, but saved by the Irish Georgian Society. After it has been restored it is destined to become a major tourist attraction alongside the castle.
● Derry Castle
● Drominagh Castle
● Dromineer, Ruin - hall-house and tower-house overlooking Lough Derg and Dromineer Harbour., dating from the 14th century when it was held by the O'Kennedy family, although it may have been built by the Cantwells. John Cantwell of Cantwell Court who held the castle in 1640 as a tenant of the Butlers.
● Drumbane Castle
● Drumnamahane Castle
References and Sources
Free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
Other Pages for Historic Buildings of Ireland Counties
Historic Buildings of County Kilkenny
Historic Buildings of County Tipperary
this project is in History Link