Historic Buildings of County Wicklow
Republic of Ireland
Image right - Glendalough Monastry
If you have information about any of the Buildings mentioned below please share it here. If you have ancestors linked to any of the places please add them to the project.
The object of this project is to provide information about historic buildings in County Wicklow, with links to sub-projects for specific buildings as appropriate. GENi profiles of people associated with those establishments can be linked to this project and/or to individual projects where they have been set up.
Castles, Baronial and Historic houses
... in alphabetical order
Including Castles, Abbeys, Manor Houses, Mansions, Stately Homes, Country houses, Estate houses, Courts, Halls, Parks and other listed buildings of historic interest
Full sizes of the thumbnail images can be seen in the Gallery attached to the project or by clicking the thumbnail image. TIP - Use ctrl+the link to open the image in a separate tab, or use "back" to return to this project page) Sources for the images can be found in the image details as seen in the gallery.
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles or projects. Other links take you to external biographical web pages. Please copy and paste the bullet used - ● - instead of * when adding items to the list.
● Arklow Castle
● Avondale House birthplace and home of Charles Stewart Parnell (1846–1891) one of the leading political leaders in Irish history.
● Ballintruer Castle
● Bellevue House bought in 1753 by David La Touche, a rich banker from Dublin of Huguenot extraction. He built a house between 1754 and 1756.
● Black Castle
● Burgage Castle
● Carnew Castle, Carnew. Tower House Ruins, built in the late 16th century.
● Castle Howard Wicklow, Intact Castle with the addition of a 19th-century Mansion.
● Dunganstown Castle, Dunganstown. Remains of a large late-17th Century U-plan house and early 17th Century tower.
● Fassaroe Castle, Bray. Built in 1536 by 'Master Tresover' currently in ruins.
● Glenart Castle, Arklow. Intact Castle in use as a hotel.
● Kevin Castle
● Killincarrig Castle
● Kilruddery House n 1534, Sir William Brabazon of Leicestershire was posted to Ireland to serve as Vice-Treasurer. Later, in 1539, after vigorously supporting King Henry VIII's efforts to break with Rome and the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Sir William secured ownership of the Abbey of St. Thomas, Dublin, whose lands included Kilruddery. In 1627 his great-grandson was made the 1st Earl of Meath. The 2nd Earl of Meath (1610–1675) built a new house at Killruddery in 1651 to replace one burned down in the civil war six years earlier. Contemporary pictures show a west-facing building of five bays.
● Kiltegan Castle, Kiltegan. Intact Castle
● Kiltimon Castle, Newcastle. C.1550, now in use as a folly.
● Kindelstown Castle, Greystones. Castle Ruins
● Newcastle McKynegan Castle
● Oldcourt Castle, Bray. Built by the Earl of Ormond in 1433 currently in ruins.
● Ormonde Castle, Arklow. Castle ruins, built in 1169 on an old Viking site and destroyed by Oliver Cromwell's army in the 17th century.
● Powerscourt Estate The original owner was a man by the name of La Poer, which was eventually anglicised to "Power." Mervyn Wingfield, 7th Viscount Powerscourt inherited the title and the Powerscourt estate, which comprised 200 km² (49,000 acres) of land in Ireland, at the age of 8 in 1844. When he reached the age of 21, he embarked on an extensive renovation of the house and created the new gardens.
● Russborough House Russborough house was designed for Joseph Leeson by Richard Cassels and built between 1741 and 1755. It remained in the possession of the Earls of Milltown until Edward Nugent Leeson, 6th Earl of Milltown. On the death of his widow, Geraldine Evelyn, Countess of Milltown in 1914 it passed to a nephew, Sir Edmund Turton.
● The Black Castle, Wicklow Town (now ruins). In 834 AD the Vikings fortified a strategic rocky promontory at the mouth of the Vartry River in Wicklow Town. Following the Norman invasion a castle was subsequently built, now known as the Black Castle. Between 1295 and 1315 the castle was attacked and burnt down twice by the local O'Byrne Clan.
● Threecastles Castle, Manor Kilbride, Blessington. Largely intact late 14th/15th-century castle marking the boundary of the Pale.
References and Sources
Free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
Other Pages for Historic Buildings of Ireland Counties
Historic Buildings of County Kilkenny
Historic Buildings of County Tipperary