Historic Buildings of County Dublin
Republic of ireland
Image right - Dublin Castle, Record Tower
If you have information about any of the Buildings mentioned below please share it here. If you have ancestors linked to any of the places please add them to the project.
The object of this project is to provide information about historic buildings in County Dublin, with links to sub-projects for specific buildings as appropriate. GENi profiles of people associated with those establishments can be linked to this project and/or to individual projects where they have been set up.
Castles, Baronial and Historic houses
... in alphabetical order
Full sizes of the thumbnail images can be seen in the Gallery attached to the project or by clicking the thumbnail image. TIP - Use ctrl+the link to open the image in a separate tab, or use "back" to return to this project page) Sources for the images can be found in the image details as seen in the gallery.
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles or projects. Other links take you to external biographical web pages. Please copy and paste the bullet used - ● - instead of * when adding items to the list.
Including Castles, Abbeys, Manor Houses, Mansions, Stately Homes, Country houses, Estate houses, Courts, Halls, Parks and other listed buildings of historic interest
● Archibald’s Castle 1 of 2 remaining of original 7 castles - see Dalkey below
● Aldborough House built in 1796 by Edward Stratford In 1813, Prof Von Feinagle leased it and opened it as a school. The house had an addition to it including large classrooms and a chapel. Prof Von Feiangle, died in 1820 and by 1830 it was closed.
● Ardgillan Castle, Ardgillan Demesne, Balrothery built by Reverend Robert Taylor in 1738, who famously paid some of his employees in free lodgings and whiskey. It remained with the Taylor family until 1962. The castle was eventually purchased by the Irish state in 1982. It officially opened to the public in 1992 by then president of Ireland Mary Robinson.
● Artaine Castle, Lands at Artane formed part of the Barony of Coolock. In the 14th and 15th centuries, the lands of Artane were bought for 40s by Robert de Hollywood, Chief Remembrancer of the Exchequer or Crown debt collector, for permission from the King to get himself lands in Ireland. The Hollywood family in 1387 were responsible for the building of Artaine Castle. The family held property in the counties of Dublin, Meath and Wexford, as well as the townland of Hollywood near the Naul in North County Dublin. The Hollywoods were established there from the 12th century. Their name became noted by the writings of John de Sacre Bosco Hollywood, a mathematician and philosopher who lectured in Oxford and Paris. He was buried in the cloisters of the convent of St. Mathures in Paris in 1230 A.D. In 1310 Roger Hollywood was summoned to attend the Parliament of Kilkenny and Henry Hollywood, a Dominican Friar, was employed by the English in 1334 to make peace with O Connor, the King of Connacht. It is believed that Robert Hollywood who built the Castle of Artane, was knighted by Lionel, Duke of Clarence. On the 28th July 1534 an infamous event took place at Artane Castle. The 8th Earl of Kildare had been imprisoned in the Tower of London by Henry V111. In Dublin, rumours were circulated that the Earl of Kildare had been murdered. Thomas Fitzgerald, Lord Offaly, who was nicknamed Silken Thomas from the silk tassels his followers wore, on hearing the rumours of his father's supposed death, rushed from the Castle at Maynooth to a room in St. Mary's Abbey. At the meeting which was in session, he flung down the Sword of State, which he was holding in place of his father, as a gesture of rebellion against the King and his forces. Archbishop Allen on hearing of Silken Thomas's rebellion left that evening on a boat going from near Dame Gate in the city. Either through treachery or genuine shipwreck he did not get very far. He scrambled ashore at Clontarf and made his way to Artane Castle and ordered the prelate to be brought out in front him. There is some controversy as to whether Silken Thomas meant literally his next words of " Beir uaim an Bodach" (Take this Clown away from me). Either way, Archbishop Allen was brutally murdered in the grounds of Artane Castle. For centuries afterwards, the area was fenced off. Christopher Hollywood was born in Artane in 1559. Because of his religion he was sent abroad to be educated and in 1579 he entered the Jesuits at Dole in France. Known as Christopher a Sacre Bosco, he made a name for himself in the universities of Europe. He became Professor of Scripture at Ferrara and later at Padua. During the Penal Laws, the Hollywoods made their Castle at Artane a centre of refuge for people on the run from the worst excesses of these laws. Spies of the Government constantly sent in reports about the number of priests that found shelter there and their suspicion that Mass was celebrated in the Castle. In 1630, Fr. James, Drake, Parish Priest of Coolock lived in the Castle during the worst days of the persecution. During the rebellion of 1641, Artane Castle was commandeered by a Luke Neterville and his small army from Fingal. It is said that he occupied the castle with the agreement of Christopher Hollywood. In 1642 at Kilmainham court, the following Artane people were outlawed for their part in the 1641 Rebellion: John Cokleman, yeoman; Christopher Hollyword, gentleman; Nicholas Hollywood, Esquire who in 1663 was indicted and outlawed for high treason and his lands, including Artane with 244 acres and 60 acres in Santry, were declared confiscated. As a result the lands passed to his son, John Hollywood. In 1687 the lands of Artane were the subject of a Court ruling. John Hollywood, died in 1663 and the lands at Artane passed to his son and heir, Christopher. In 1748, a 'failure of the male line' of John Hollywood and the land became vested in the Earl of Granard. However members of the Hollywood family continued to reside at the Castle for some years more. Within a short period, however, the lands of the Hollywoods were in the hands of different landlords. These included a family called Donnellans of Ravensdale. In 1825 a Matthew Boyle acquired the lands at Artane. He demolished the old, historic Artane Castle and in its place he built himself a modern residence on a site a few hundred metres away from the Castle. He called this house Artaine Castle. It later passed on to his nephew, a Mr. M. O'Callaghan who in 1870 sold it to the Irish Christian Brothers. It is said that some of the stones from the old castle were used in the erection of what became the Brothers' monastery attached to the Artane Industrial School. This building is now demolished. More at Artane & Coolock
Artane Castle plus 56 acres of land was purchased for the purpose of setting up an industrial school in June 1870. The request was approved and the School was licensed to accommodate 825 boys on 9th July 1870. From an original intake of three pupils, it quickly grew in scale, housing 700 boys by 1877, and reaching its certified size of 825 boys before the end of the nineteenth century. During its existence, approximately 15,500 boys were cared for and educated in Artane. St Joseph’s Industrial School, Artane was established under the Industrial Schools Act (Ireland), 1868 by the Christian Brothers at the request of the then Archbishop of Dublin, Cardinal Cullen. It opened on 28th July 1870 with the aim of caring for neglected, orphaned and abandoned Roman Catholic boys, and it operated as an industrial school until its closure in 1969. when the 211 boys who were still detained in Artane were moved out and the Institution closed. Demolished - Now Arcane Castle Shopping Centre which opened in 1983. There is a stone in front of the Tesco building commemorating Artaine Castle.
Artaine COULD BE SUB PROJECT
○ Child Abuse Commission - many images, information and enquiry report etc.
○ WIKI Christopher Holywood (1559 – 4 September 1626) was an Irish Jesuit of the Counter Reformation.
○ WIKI Robert de Holywood (died 1384) was an Irish judge and landowner who held the office of Chief Baron of the Irish Exchequer: he was the ancestor of the Holywood family of Artane Castle.
○ WIKI Johannes de Sacrobosco, also written Ioannis de Sacro Bosco (c. 1195 – c. 1256)
● Ashtown Castle, In 1978 due to the presence of dry rot it was decided to demolish the 18th century ‘Ashtown Lodge’ that was located on the site of this castle. During demolition, this medieval tower house was ‘discovered’ within the structure of the lodge. People who had lived in the lodge had wondered over the years why certain walls were so thick and why a set of stairs was circular. Ashtown Lodge was first used as a residence for the British Under Secretary and later by The Papal Nuncio between 1921 and 1978 . It is rumoured that there is an underground tunnel connecting this lodge to the ‘Aras’ to conduct private meetings. The castle, now fully restored, was dated to around the 16th century but might be even earlier. Castles of Leinster by Mike Salter dates it to the early 17th century, but other sources indicate that it may have been built in the 15th century to avail of a £10 grant made available by Henry VI for every castle of certain minimum dimensions constructed within the Pale.
● Substantial ruins of Athgoe Castle to the immediate north-west. Appraisal This grand country house stands alongside the ruined Medieval tower house of Athgoe Castle of the Locke family. It retains many original materials and features typical of late eighteenth-century regional Irish architecture, most notably the floating pediment and fine doorcase set in a symmetrical façade. Peter Warren Locke who died in 1833, lived at Athgoe Castle.
People connected to Athgoe Castle -
○ Lord Walter Fitzgerald
○ Peter Warren Locke who died in 1833, lived at Athgoe Castle.
● Ballyowen Castle, Lucan, ruins incorporated into the Ballyowen Castle Shopping Centre
● Balrothery Castle, intact
● Baymount Castle, Heronstown, Clontarf
● Belgard Castle, Tallaght, HQ of CRH Holdings
● Bremore Castle, Balbriggan, under repair
● Bullock Castle
● Carrickmines Castle, ruins, buried beneath recent road work
● Castle Bagot, Kilmactalway, Newcastle, intact, health spa
● Castle Mount, Clogh
● Castle Park (Castle Perrin), Monkstown, intact,
● Castleknock Castle
● Clonskeagh Castle, Roebuck. 19th century, on site of earlier castle.
● Clontarf Castle, Clontarf. Restored Castle, Hotel.
● Conn Castle, intact
● Dalkey Castle, 1 of 2 remaining of original 7 castles - see Archibald above. Once owned by the Cheevers family in the 16th century and was originally called ‘Goat Castle’. The Cheevers were Norman in origin and the word ‘chevre’ means goat in French. Dalkey’s deep harbour was once Dublin’s most important and these fortified towerhouses were built as defensive structures and also to store valuable goods such as wine and tobacco. This area was also on the edge of ‘the Pale’ and so was constantly under threat of attack from displaced Gaelic clans such as the O’Byrnes and the O’Tooles. Other notable castles in Dalkey were ‘Wolverton Castle’ and ‘Dungan’s Castle’ but these were demolished to provide handy building materials for the new Georgian and Victorian that were built in the 18th and 19th centuries. The name ‘Dalkey’ derives it’s name from the Irish ‘Deilg-inis’ meaning ‘thorny island’.
● Deansrath Castle was laid siege to by English forces and was almost destroyed.
● Donabate, intact
● Drimnagh Castle, Restored Castle. A moated castle.. The original castle was built in 1216 by Hugo de Berneval, a Norman Knight, whose family name was later Anglicised to Barnewall. De Berneval was part of Strongbow’s first invasion of Ireland and was given these lands for services rendered to the King. The Barnwall’s actively participated in the affairs of Ireland for the next 400 years and acquired much of the surrounding lands from Drimagh to Balbriggan. The castle was later leased to Sir Adam Loftus, Knight of Rathfarnham in 1607 and over the following 300 years it changed hands repeatedly until 1904 when it was bought by Joseph Hatch who carried out many refurbishments to the castle until 1954 when it was left to the Christian Brothers who used the castle up to the late 1980s. The castle then fell into disuse until local residents set up a committee in the late 1980s to repair the castle. Over ten years FAS participants and local trades people have lovingly restored the castle to its present condition.
● Drumcondra Castle, Richmond. Conference centre
● Dublin Castle, Dublin City. Restored Castle. Located at the highest point in Dublin’s centre and so was always the most strategic point for controlling the territory. There is evidence that a 6th century ring fort was located on this site which was followed by a wooden Viking fortress built in 930 and then the first stone built castle built by the Normans in 1204. From this point it became the centre of English administration in Ireland for more than 700 years until 1921. It was also used as a royal residence, resided in by the Viceroy of Ireland. In the 1700’s the Georgian street scape of Dublin was reshaped and redeveloped and Edward Lovett Pearce, one of the leading architects of the time, redesigned Dublin Castle’s courtyard in 1779. It was so grand that it was stated that ‘it was far superior to the London Palace of St James’. The castle is now a tourist attraction and is used as a conference centre.
● Dundrum Castle, Dundrum. Ruins
● Dunsoghly Castle, Restored Castle - 80 foot tall four storey tower built in c.1450 by Sir Thomas (or Sir Rowland) Plunkett. It is rectangular in shape with virtually square turrets of differing sizes at each corner. Fireplaces can be found in the north wall of the second and third storeys, and the NE corner contains a wide spiral staircase. There are latrines and a prison in the small SW corner turret, with private rooms (some with fireplaces) in the NW and SE corner turrets. The SW corner turret is connected via a doorway to the nave of a small private chapel outside the main block. It probably dates from 1573 the date over the door, together with the Instruments of the Passion, and the initials of Sir John Plunkett and his wife Genet Sarsfield. The chapel building can be seen in the photo immediately in front of the tower.
● Howth Castle, Howth. - Ancestral home of the Earls of Howth. Has been the private residence of the Gaisford – St Lawrence family for over 800 years since 1177. It has its origins in medieval times when Almeric, the first Lord of Howth, came to Ireland with John de Courcy. Legend has it that on 10th August (the feastday of St Lawrence) he won a victory which secured him possession of the Howth peninsula and in gratitude he took the name of the saint. The earliest structure was made from wood but has since disappeared. The earliest part of the present structure dates from about 1450. The castle has been extensively altered by succeeding generations, most notably in 1738, when the house took on its current appearance. A popular legend about Howth Castle occurred in 1576 when The ‘Pirate Queen’ Grainne O’Malley visited Dublin and attempted to pay a courtesy visit to the Christopher St. Lawrence, 8th Baron of Howth. When she approached, she was informed that the family was at dinner and the castle gates were shut against her. In retaliation, she abducted their grandson, the ?10th Baron and heir. She eventually released him upon a promise ‘to keep the gates open to unexpected visitors, and to set an extra place at every meal’. This agreement is still honoured by the descendants of the Baron.
Additional notes (archives,Country life, Sean O;Reilly):Howth Castle, on a peninsular extension, reaching out from the north of Dublin,into the Irish sea - with a view of Lambey Island.High in the skyline, Howth castle is still dominant & has survived for half a millenium as residence of St.Lawrences, Lords of Howth.(including the fabric of the historic castle, and is the oldest inhabited castle) Edwin Luytens 'carefully remodeled at the start of this century'. Almeric St. Lawrence fought alongside his brother-in-law John de Courcy during the Norman Invasion, and founded the castle. His grandson confirmed the family title Howth,- to present century William 4th Earl, died 1909- extinction of title- estates devolved on a nephew,Julian G Gaisford (he called Luytens to upgrade the castle) It was a complex amalgam with detailed history with battlements and a gate-tower, old, irregular, time-worn, it survives and is testimony to the care of an ancient family seat.
● Irishtown Castle, ruin - built in 1601 by Alderman Patrick Browne on lands passed to him. He and his wife lived there briefly. During the rebellion in 1642 the castle then defended by a garrison of 10 men found themselves conscripted into the confederate army and the Castle was laid siege to by English forces. A view of Irishtown Castle by the artist Gabriel Beranger from 1772 shows the Castle Roofless and pretty much in ruin. Today the castle remains are surrounded by a modern housing estate and serve as a monument within the estate.
● Kilgobbin Castle - near the village of Stepaside. Built around 1476 by the Walshe family who were ‘marcher lords’ of the area and controlled extensive tracts of lands in South Dublin. These castles were usually built to take advantage of a £10 royal subsidy given by King Edward VI in 1429. This guaranteed a certain income for anyone who built a castle to defend ‘The Pale’ (the area of English rule in Ireland). Such ‘pale castles’ were built within sight of each other around the outer edges of counties Dublin, Kildare, Meath and parts of Louth and offered protection for people who lived ‘under the Crown’ from ‘The wild Irish’. During this turbulent time the Walshe family, being Catholic, ended up backing the wrong side and had their castles in Balally, Kilgobbin, Carrickmines, Brennnastown, Shanganagh and Old Connaught confiscated or destroyed. Kilgobbin was occupied until the 1700’s but much of it had collapsed by 1834. It is claimed to be haunted by a figure wearing a suit of armour and a woman carrying water who has coins rattling in her apron! It is now on private land) and is a telecomms mast.
● Killiney Castle, Scalpwilliam or Mount Mapas.
● Killininny Castle, Firhouse
● Kilsallaghan Castle
● Knocklyne (Knocklyon) Castle, Knocklyon. Intact, private residence.
● Lambay Castle, Lambay Island (notes:.Irish Houses & Gardens-Archives of Country Life, Sean O'Reilly, 1998) Cecil Baring (Lord Revelstoke bought Lambay island in1904, with derelict castle; reconstructed and landscaped...on coastline, 3 miles from Dublin, (fraught with stories of banditry and intrigue, including pirates in 1450s, when the castle was built as a protection) Ancient castle sections were remodelled by Luytens. 1900s - a complex interweaving of old and new. Luytens also worked on an array of other buildings on the island, including workers' cottages, the old Catholic chapel on a hill, the Memorial, the White House (built for the Lord's daughter), The House and complex survives today in its' original form
● Lanestown, intact
● Luttrellstown Castle, Restored Castle
● Malahide Castle, Malahide Demesne. Restored Castle. Malahide Castle is one of the oldest stately homes in Ireland. The castle dates back to the 12th century, when it was owned by the Talbot family. It was built as a large fortress in 1185 by Sir Richard Talbot, a knight who accompanied King Henry II to Ireland. The Talbot family loved the place so much that they lived here for nearly 800 years (between 1185 until 1973) making it the longest continuously inhabited castle in Ireland by the same family. It was considerably enlarged during the reign of Edward IV around 1470 and the towers were added in 1765. In 1641, the castle was attacked by Cromwell, who banished the Talbots and gave the property to his friend, British politician Miles Corbet. Corbet was eventually hung, drawn and quartered but his ghost is said to haunt the castle to this day. 14 members of the family were killed at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. . The castle is also home to the world’s largest miniature railway, which covers 2,500sq ft, and houses Ireland’s National Portrait Collection, which comprises works of art by Van Wyck and William Osborne. Dublin County Council bought the property and it’s 265 acres in 1975 giving public access to some of the finest period interiors in the country and also to the beautiful botanical gardens.
● Merrion Castle, - medieval castle situated in present day Mount Merrion. Built in the early 14th century, it was from the sixteenth to the early eighteenth century the principal seat of Viscount Fitzwilliam. After the Fitzwiliam family moved to Mount Merrion House the castle fell into ruin, and it was demolished in 1780. No trace of it survives today. It was located opposite Merrion Gates, on the site of St. Mary’s Home and School for the Blind.
● Monkstown Castle, Monkstown Castlefarm. Ruin - The first castle here was built by the Cistercian Monks of St Mary’s Abbey at the centre of a large farm between the 14th and 15th centuries. This area was at the border of the ‘Pale’ and was frequently raided by Gaelic tribesmen such as the O’Tooles and the O’Byrnes of Wicklow. After King Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries in 1539 Monkstown passed in and out of ownership of the some of the most prominent characters and families in Irish history including the Cheevers family (a French Norman family who also owned Dalkey Castle), General Edmund Ludlow (Cromwell’s Master of the Horse in Ireland) and Michael Boyle, Primate, and Lord Chancellor of Ireland. Today all that remains is the gatehouse and the 3 story tower, which once formed one side of a large hall.
● Mountpelier Lodge , (notes from Abandoned Houses of Ireland, by, Tarquin Blake) " terrible history". A wide, spacious Hunting Lodge,much stone, known as the 'Dublin Hellfire Club; on Mt. Pelier, with a view of Dublin, at 1,275' - built by William Connolly in 1725. Lawyer, Speaker, Landowner, wealthy - he owned Castletown House, Cellbridge, Co. Kildare. In 1735, it became a Club (Earl of Rosse and others joined) with a motto: 'Do as you Will'. There was the death of Whaley, half-mad, aged 34 - end of Club. A great fire, earlier. Haunted by a scalded cat.
● Murphystown, ruins, the proposed Luas line B1 runs approximately 28m west of the ruins of Murphystown Castle and through its area of archaeological potential.
● Nangor Castle, Nangor.
● Newbridge Estate built by Archbishop Charles Cobbe in 1736 and remained the family home of the Irish Cobbe family until 1985 when it was acquired by Fingal County Council in a unique arrangement with the family.
● Portrane Castle (Stella's Tower), intact - Also known as Stella's Tower, after Jonathan Swift's 'Stella', Esther Johnson, who, it is said, stayed there.
● Rathfarnham Castle, Rathfarnham Demesne. Restored Castle - built in 1585 by Adam Loftus, Archbishop of Armagh. It is described as a ‘fortified manor house’. It’s 4 flanker towers, instead of being square are angular (angle bastions). The site had previously had an Iron Age Fort built on it one thousand years earlier followed by a Norman castle. The interior of the castle was redesigned in the 18th century by two of the greatest architects of the time: William Chambers (Buckingham Palace, Kew Gardens, St James’s Palace, Trinity University, and Casino Marino) and, James ‘Athenian’ Stuart (best known for his pioneering role in Neoclassicism in the mid 1700’s. Rathfarnham Castle remained in use for a long time as a private house and ended up being used as a Jesuit College before it was taken under the care of the Office of Public Works. It is now open to the public.
● Rathmines Castle, Rathmines West.
● Robswall, intact
● Roebuck Castle, Roebuck. Hall of residence UCD campus
● Sarsfield Castle, intact
● Shangannagh Castle, ruins. Built in 1408 by the Lawless family and inhabited by their descendants until 1763, the castle was left in ruins by a fire in 1783. During the late 18th century, a mansion of the same name was rebuilt on extensive lands at the border of Shankill with County Wicklow not to be confused with the late 18th-century house of the same name -
● Shangannagh Castle (2). This building - 18th C house. The core of the present structure dates from c.1760 when a plain classical residence was constructed. At the start of the 19th century the property was bought by Major-General Sir George Cockburn who in 1805 commissioned Sir Richard Morrison to remodel the house: the addition of what has been accurately described as ‘a profusion of battlements and turrets’ transformed the place into a fantastical toy fort. The interiors were more restrained not least because Cockburn, who was something of an aesthetically-minded career soldier and had acquired a collection of antiquities, sculptures and paintings during his military career, required a top-lit gallery in which these could be displayed.The history of Shanganagh in the last century was not a happy one: after serving for some time as a Church of Ireland college of education it was converted into an open prison and remained such until closed ten years ago. Since then the building has suffered from being left vacant, Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council acquired Shanganagh and immediately surrounding acreage as part of a complex land-exchange programme.
● Shankill Castle, Shankill. , brief history, Ruin
● Simmonscourt Castle, Smotscourt.
● Stillorgan Castle, Stillorgan. 18th-century house on site of earlier castle, now incorporated into the modern St John of God hospital complex.
● Templeogue House
● Tully's Castle, Clondalkin, ruins, Picture
● Tymon Castle, Tymon North. Demolished in the 1970s
● Westown House.(notes from Abandoned Mansions, by Tarquin Blake).1609 -Bellew family resided Westown; Mary Bellew married Peter Hussey, Westown House, built 1700s. Husseys to Cousin Gerald Strong (who became Gerald Strong-Hussey)to son Anthony, to Malachi.-b.1850 , son Anthony Aloysius married Mary, daughter of R.H.Skeil of Liverpool. "Finest Mansion in Finegal", 32 rooms, self-sufficient. (Mary, a horse-rider and breeder,, 1911, aged 53).dau.Mary Mabel married Col.John Whitgreave,1820 - lavish affair, Westown Estate sold to Land Estate and divided. Mary kept a few acres until 1942. House abandoned and ruins- haunted by a guest.
● Williamstown Castle, Williamstown.
References and Sources
County Dublin Specific
Free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
Other Pages for Historic Buildings of Ireland Counties
Historic Buildings of Co. Kilkenny
Historic Buildings of County Tipperary
this project is in History Link