Historic Buildings of County Kerry
Republic of Ireland
Image right - "Derryquin Castle c.1870. Pen & ink sketch by William Herbert Stokes
If you have information about any of the Buildings mentioned below please share it here. If you have ancestors linked to any of the places please add them to the project.
The object of this project is to provide information about historic buildings in County Kerry, with links to sub-projects for specific buildings as appropriate. GENi profiles of people associated with those establishments can be linked to this project and/or to individual projects where they have been set up.
Castles, Baronial and Historic houses
... in alphabetical order
Including Castles, Abbeys, Manor Houses, Mansions, Stately Homes, Country houses, Estate houses, Courts, Halls, Parks and other listed buildings of historic interest
Full sizes of the thumbnail images can be seen in the Gallery attached to the project or by clicking the thumbnail image. TIP - Use ctrl+the link to open the image in a separate tab, or use "back" to return to this project page) Sources for the images can be found in the image details as seen in the gallery.
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles or projects. Other links take you to external biographical web pages. Please copy and paste the bullet used - ● - instead of * when adding items to the list.
● Ardea Castle
● Ballybunnion Castle
● Ballybunnion Castle
● Ballingarry Castle
● Ballinskelligs Castle
● Ballybunion Castle
● Ballycarbery Castle a.k.a. Ballycarbury (notes from 'Abandoned Mansions of Ireland' by Tarquin Blake) Fortress of Carbery O'Shea, Tomb in nearby shoreline (Atlantic); from 1350 - O;Connells to 1908, then passed to State Care' Said to be haunted from times of executions.
○ 15th century rectangular tower-house. Belonged to the MacCarthaig family
● Ballyheigue Castle
● Ballymalis Castle 16th century, 4 storey tower-house
● Ballyseede Castle, Hotel
● Cappanacuss Castle
● Carrigafoyle Castle 80 feet tall tower-house on the Shannon Estuary near Ballylongford. Belonged once to the Ua Conchobair family. Built in the late 15th century.
● Carrignass Castle
● Castle Sybil
● Castle of the Island
● Coolclogher House was built in 1746 - historic manor home set in a private secluded 65 acre walled estate near Killarney on the Ring of Kerry. Registered by the Irish Tourist Board in the Historic House category.
● Derreen Garden about granted in 1657 to Sir William Petty, physician of Oliver Cromwell later owned by the Fitzmaurice family. 5th Marquess of Lansdowne inherited the property in 1866.
● Derryquin Castle Wiki Page 18th-century stone-built country house, now demolished, in the Parknasilla estate in Sneem, County Kerry in the Republic of Ireland. See Francis Bland 1770 and Laetitia Bland
● Dromore Castle
● Dromquinna Estate owned by Sir John Charles Ready Colomb who inherited the estate from his father in law Robert Samuel Palmer.
● Dunbeg Fort
● Dunkerron Castle
● Dunloe Castle
● Gallarus Castle
● Glanleam House owned by Sir Peter George Fitzgerald, the 19th Knight of Kerry (1808–1880)
● Kenmare House was the principal residence of the Brownes of Killarney, Earls of Kenmare. Sir Valentine Browne and his son, also Valentine Browne, were the first members of the family to settle in Ireland being appointed Surveyor General of Ireland in 1559. The original Kenmare House was built in 1726. The original house was demolished in 1872 by the fourth Earl. The succeeding house and was accidentally destroyed by fire in 1913 and never rebuilt; instead, the stable block of the original Kenmare House was converted into the present Killarney House, although the Brownes called it Kenmare House. During this time Edward VII and Queen Alexandra and, later, George V and Queen Mary paid visits to the Kenmares in the years before the First World War. The second Kenmare House was built in 1915. This house was later abandoned and sold in 1956 to John McShain when a new Kenmare House was built by the heir to the Browne estates, Mrs. Beatrice Grosvenor CBE (granddaughter of the Duke of Westminster). In 1974 the new manor which was confusingly constructed on the site of the former Killarney House by Mrs. Grosvenor in 1956 was replaced. This last Kenmare House was built on the Killorglin Road, beside the Killarney golf course and the Castlerosse Hotel.
● Killarney House (above - 1872 left) Valentine Augustus Browne, 4th Earl of Kenmare decided to build a new mansion on a hillside with spectacular views of Lough Leane in 1872. The old manor, Kenmare House, was demolished and an Elizabethan-Revival manor house on a more elevated site erected.
● Knockreer House In 1956 Mrs. Beatrice Grosvenor CBE (1915-1985), niece of the seventh Gerald Ralph Desmond Browne, 7th Earl of Kenmare (1896–1952) and granddaughter of the Duke of Westminster, built Knockreer House on the site of the former "Killarney House". This house and the surrounding land, formerly part of the Kenmare Estate of the Earls of Kenmare, were later donated by her to form Killarney National Park
● Listowel Castle ruin of a great tower built in the 15th century
● Minard Castle tower-house, probably 15th century
● Parkavonear Castle
● Rahinnane Castle - large circular ring-fort
● Ross Castle, Restored Castle.
● Staigue Fort
References and Sources
County Kerry Specific
Free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
Other Pages for Historic Buildings of Ireland Counties
Historic Buildings of County Kilkenny
Historic Buildings of County Tipperary
this project is in History Link