THE POWELL LINE THE name is of Welsh origin and was originally Ap Howell, being gradually contracted to POWELL, this was done by abbreviating AP HOWELL, leaving out the letters A and H. The first family of Powells lived in Brechnockshire, South Wales, now known as Breconshire. The Powells are descendants of the Royal Family of Wales, coming from one of the sons of the old Kings of Wales. Castle Madoc Brecon, in the County of Brechnoc, Wales, was their home. Three of the family were Judges on the Kings Bench in England. The year of our Lord (1087), is as far back as we have been able to trace the Powell Family. During the reign of William Rufus (1087); at which period "Lord Brecon" whose name was "Bleddyn Ap Maenyrch Ap Driffyn Ap Hwgan". It was in this year that his Lordship was invaded by Bernard Newmarch, (a Norman); who with his forces defeated Lord Brecon in battle at Caerbaunan. In this battle Lord Brecon was slain and his body was carried by his two sons to the Abbey of Strata Florida, Cardiganshire, and there buried. The lands of his Lordship were divided by Newmarch (The Norman), between himself and his followers; EXCEPT A SMALL PART, WHICH THE SONS OF HIS LORDSHIP WERE ALLOWED TO RETAIN. From one of these sons, name Bleguryd, descended in the 5th degree, Einon Sais. Third in descent from Einon Sais, was Llewllyn, who married Matilda, daughter of Jenan Ap Rhys Ap Ivor, of Ebrel, by whom he had two sons: Howell, ancestor of the Powells and David Gam, celebrated in Welsh History as the enemy of Owen Gledower, (and more renowned for his valor at Agincourt); where he supported the English monarch Henry V.
Read more at Geni.com: William Powell
- http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/pp/powell01.php (membership required to view without interruption)
- http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/pp/powell02.php (membership required to view without interruption)
- http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/pp/powell03.php (membership required to view without interruption)
- http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/pp/powell04.php (membership required to view without interruption)
- http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/pp/powell05.php (membership required to view without interruption)
- http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/pp/powell06.php (membership required to view without interruption)